Last night on 8/6/20, the board of education along with the board members approved and adopted the virtual engagement plans for the first semester for MCPS.
For athletics this means:
- All sports will be offered in a virtual format during the first semester
- Fall (September 14-October 16)
- Winter (October 26-December 4)
- Spring (December 14-January 22)
- During this time there will be NO tryouts for the sports. ALL students will be allowed to participate in the virtual engagement of the sports they choose for each season.
- ALL sports will operate in the confines of their traditional seasons except for Cheerleading and Pom Pons. Cheerleading will be FALL only and Pom Pons will be WINTER only.
- Each season will have a systemwide approach, sport-specific, team and schoolwide engagement opportunities
All plans and logistics have not be finalized yet, but the Office of Athletics and the 25 Athletic Specialists are working diligently to make this the GREATEST virtual experience for our student-athletes and coaches. Over the coming days and weeks, more information will be shared with all our community stakeholders.
I want to thank our coaches for their patience and leadership during this time. They are very eager to get to work and I want them to know how much the athletic department appreciates their efforts. I cannot wait to see what we as a “Family” come up with to engage our student-athletes during these challenging times. I also want to thank our student-athletes, we are getting our charge to make this the BEST experience from you and your willingness to adapt and not back down. I can promise you, we will all come out of this stronger.
As always, I am here to answer any questions you may have. Please understand there is still a lot of work to do, but I know in the coming days and weeks, our entire MCPS Athletics Family will be putting in many hours of work to provide an EXCELLENT virtual experience.
Please continue to practice social distancing, wear your mask and most of stay positive and safe! Our coaches and athletics department are counting down the days until it is safe for all of us be competing safely.